“Hearing the word of the cross, and preaching it to ourselves, is the central strategy for sinners in the fight for joy.” John Piper
Anger, fear, panic, discouragement, and impatience all stalk our hearts and whisper in our ears a false gospel that will lure our lives away from what we say we believe. (David Mathis) The battlefield is the space between our ears. So we as Believers should preach the Gospel message to ourselves rather than just read it. They are not the same. Preaching requires pausing, reflection, and rehearsing the love, goodness, and joy of the Father back to shape our reality. Reading Scripture simply provides the content. So in this short devotion, I decided to do something different and just pose the questions that were in the chapter for you and I to reflect and answer. Be Blessed! Be Revealed!
- What is it that is capturing your idle thoughts?
- What fear or frustration is filling your spare moments?
- Will you listen to yourself, or will you start talking?
- How is preaching the gospel to yourself distinct from Bible reading?
- How would you preach the gospel to yourself in view of your specific need?